A Few Fun Facts about Pumpkins.
– A pumpkin is really a squash. It is a member of the Cucurbita family which includes squash and cucumbers.
– Pumpkins are grown all over the world on six of the seven continents, with Antarctica being the sole exception. They are even grown in Alaska.
– The self proclaimed “Pumpkin Capital of the World” is Morton, IL where Libby has it’s pumpkin industry and plant.
– From a medicinal standpoint, pumpkins have been used for a variety of ailments:
* They were onced recommended as a cure for freckles.
* They were used as a remedy for snake bites according to eHomeRemedies
* The seeds help avoid prostate cancer in men.
– Pumpkins contain potassium and Vitamin A.
– In early colonial times, pumpkins were used as an ingredient for the crust of pies, not the filling.
– Pumpkins are 90 percent water.
– It takes 3-4 months for a seed to become a pumpkin.